“How do you successfully manage your corporate job and your passion together?” This is the most frequently asked question to me. Don’t say that you don’t have enough time. You have the same number of hours every day that was given to anyone else.
In the course of recent years, an ever-increasing number of individuals have successfully made a career out of their interests and passions.
How about you? have you ever thought about it? Perhaps you are thinking that it’s difficult to do, since you have a job which pays well and looks extraordinary on a resume or on your LinkedIn profile — or probably you are not inspired.
There is only one solution to manage your job as well as passion. Time Management is the best practice when it comes to achieve anything significant. Below are the few tips listed which can help you trigger redefining your approach.
1. Early start – There is no right time to start. Every second is important and auspicious. Start as soon as possible and face the challenges and resolve the issues during the journey. With every resolved issue, you gain confidence and get closer to your target.
2. Maintain a diary and be organized – Create a to-do list in a diary and follow it. Maintain it on a daily basis. Identify an action plan along with the timelines. It’s ok if you don’t execute on time but evaluate the delay.
3. Break your work, plan your activities and prioritise it – Most importantly, we should identify the work and break it into pieces of tasks. With every closed task, you get closer to the completion of that work. Plan your activities before you start the day. Maybe you can plan for the next day before you go to bed or plan it before you leave your bed to start the day. We should always prioritise and finish the priority work without fail.
4. Say “NO” – Learn to say “No”. You cannot do everything and hence, you should know your strength and skills. Over-commitment is dangerous and leads to failure.
5. Trust your people/team – Success is a never-ending journey. You will come across many people during the journey. Trust them, show confidence and give them space. Spend time and be available for them.
6. Connect with the world – Stay connected with the world through social media. Check the latest trends, be aware of latest developments and new technologies.
7. Take a break – There is no harm in taking a break between work. It helps you revive your energy, to generate new ideas and to bounce back. Work Hard and Party Harder.
8. Weekends should be productive – We should enjoy your weekends with family and friends. Go out with them for outing, pub, or for a movie but spend some hours to balance your work and passion during the weekends.
9. Utilize your waiting time – We spend lots of time in a queue of food counter at office, or in a queue at bus stop/train station or in a shopping mall. Utilize that time by listening to your favourite music, YouTube videos, or listen to an audio book, or read an autobiography.
10. Spend time with yourself – You should always spend time with yourself. Lock yourself in a room for some time in a week, meditate and analyze your approach. Go for a solo trip. No excuses.
11. Stay away from negativity – Be in touch with critics but not with negative people. There is a fine line between critics and negative people. Critics want you to succeed, take their feedback positively. However, negative people are jealous of you and want you to fail.
Success can’t be achieved overnight, it’s a journey. Keep moving and Be positive.